Wednesday 12 September 2007

Then, it was all over.

“You lying cheating piece of scum!” I shouted at the TV the other night as the Game Over message appeared. I’d being trying to set a new high score on Pac-Man when Inky did an unexpected U-Turn and killed me. Dead. Games can be so unfair sometimes and it leaves us feeling frustrated and cheated.

Sometimes we have to hold our hands up and say, “ok, it's my fault! I freely admit it. I’m a complete and utter frankfurter. I should be boiled, stuffed into a hotdog roll and drowned in mustard.” Ok, maybe not, but we do cause a lot of problems for ourselves, like breaking too late in Forza 2, missing the apex of a corner and ending up in the tire wall or not reloading before going one on one with one of those big Trolls in Resi 4 or even just not concentrating and walking right off the edge of a cliff or into the line of fire or walking straight into Inky. We have to take responsibility for these blunders, these gaming errors. We have to analyse them, conclude constructively and then go back and kick that game's ass! There’s no greater satisfaction.

We’ve all made mistakes and seen our on screen character meet with a sticky demise, but when was the last time you saw the Game Over screen when it was totally your fault and when was the last time that you lost all your lives unfairly? When a game cheated you out of something or lied to you, tried to make out it was smarter and then blame you? The nerve eh?

Get your butt on the Forum and be constructive about those foolish gaming mistakes or just moan like heck about the time the ground simply vanished beneath Mario’s boots and you died. Or when Sonic ran so fast his boots flew off, he became just an average hedgehog, and you died. Or the time you were cheated out of all your weaponry just before facing a kick ass end of level boss. Or when you wanted to chose Real Madrid on Pro Evolution 6 and the damn game selected Iran for you and you died. Or the time those bloomin’ Germans, in Call of Duty 2, ganged up on you and tried to insert bayonets where you just wouldn’t want them to! And you died. Or something. Did I dream that? I once dreamt I was an astronaut and I flew to the moon and I saw this big ugly creature and he tried to eat me! There once was an ugly duckling with leathers all stubby and brown la la la la laarrrr……

Matt has been banned from the Blog until he takes his medication. Once the Gameov3r Butler sorts out delivery of the crate of Stella I’m sure he’ll be back to … er …. oh….. I'll have to say normal.

In the meantime, share with me your experiences and thoughts on those times when you completely cocked up a game, or when a nasty game lied, stole and cheated you, or on Matt losing his marbles and being banned, or on any other phenomena, over on the Gameov3r Forum – GAMEOV3R

No comments: