Wednesday 3 October 2007

Not free but only a tenner

With so much information available about games it’s hard to know how good or bad a game is going to be. There is information and opinion everywhere and it’s difficult to know who to trust especially when publishers would have you believe that all their games are the best you’ll ever play.

Take Jeff Minter’s latest game Space Giraffe on XBLA. I’ve played Llamasoft games since the days of the Commodore 64 so I was already tempted but on the game’s release I read some hugely varied responses. One reviewer gave it 2/10, incidentally Jeff’s response was classic, where others were much more favourable. Gameov3r’s very own host, Lee, reviewed Space Giraffe and gave it a score of and, knowing that we tend to agree, more often than not, that was enough for me to make my decision and download the game. I’m happy to say that I still agree with his evaluation of the game.

Over a month ago now Lee recommended the 360 game Kameo to me. He also told me that Asda had it for a tenner on their website. Not only that but he said that if I didn’t like it he would personally send me a tenner out of his own piggy bank. Bargain! I thought to myself. I can’t lose! So I hastily placed my order.

Well Lee the wait is over. Last Thursday night was my first opportunity to play the game and you’ll be glad to hear that your tenner is safe. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 and half hours I spent playing. I’ve now spent in excess of 6 hours playing and I’d recommend it to anyone that has enjoyed a RARE game in the past or anyone that enjoys huge games with epic storylines.

So that’s 2 games I’ve had recommended to me, in different ways, and both times the recommendation has been right. I make a lot of decisions based on what I read and what a few people tell me and it’s not often these days that I buy a stinker. I’m pleased to say that the Gameov3r forum has a lot of likeminded members, granted we have some strange members but they’re likeminded nonetheless, and all are passionate about video games and perhaps there is a reason in there somewhere why there’s always someone playing the same games as you. Perhaps unusually for a gamer forum we have an average age of around 30 and I think this is one reason why there is a lot of agreement on the games we play and discuss.

Of course, none of us agree all of the time and we still need as much information as we can get from reliable sources to help us to decide what to play next.

So who’re your trusted sources and where do you arm yourself with the information you need to make your next purchase? Tell us on the Gameov3r FORUM

1 comment:

Lee said...

Woo hoo! My piggy bank is safe!
It's always a bit worrying recommending something as no one wants the person to come back to tell you they hated it! I've been on the edge of my seat waiting to find out. I'll sleep well tonight :)

Can't wait to see if I can make it 3 in a row!