Tuesday 1 January 2008

GripShift Review XBLA

GripShift has been available on the PSP and PS3 network for a while now but only recently made it to the XBLA. Knowing virtually nothing about it I downloaded the demo as I do with most XBLA new additions not really expecting much. I usually keep an eye on metacritic.com also as you get a great idea of whether a game is even worth doing that. As the reviews for it started to build up most of them seemed to agree on a figure around 7/10, not bad.

My first try didn't really 'grip' me. The handling didn't feel quite right and the hand brake was severe, flipping you 180 degrees with a short touch. Something made me keep coming back to it though and I did so 3 or 4 times before I actually bought it. The more you play the more the handling makes sense and eventually you become an expert at it. You can even steer, boost and hand brake turn in mid air which is absolutely necessary on the challenge levels which I'll get to in just a bit.

The game itself has several ways of being played. It plays as a kart style racer with the usual range of power ups to collect but also a hint of Wipeout due to the placement of boost to collect on your way round to keep up your top speed. The tracks themselves are more Wipeout than anything also, being suspended in mid air with huge jumps and loop the loops. Great fun, and that's before you even try the challenges. These play like a cross between a driving and a puzzle game. There are 3 times to beat on each. Firstly just getting from start to finish as fast as possible. This being a little bit of a puzzle game means that this can be achieved by missing out huge chunks of track, usually by launching yourself high into the air. Secondly there are stars to collect littered around each track. Collect them all and cross the finish line as fast as possible. Thirdly there is a GS token on each level, often hidden off the normal track so you have to work out how to reach it and then again cross the finish line. You'll need a decent time on each to do well on the score boards, but you can try as many times as you like and you only have to complete one objective on each try.

It's the number of ways to attack each one that makes it great. Sometimes it's obvious which is the quickest way and other times it requires a lot of thought plus trial and error. Could I hit the barrier at the side of track to launch me into the air and jump that huge gap? Try it! The answer is often yes. Then you look at the online leader boards and find out that people are doing the same thing 10 or 20 seconds faster than you. There must be another short cut! It's very addictive and rewarding when you discover these new ways, and each medal earns you credits to unlock new vehicles, graphics or even more music tracks.

It's one of the largest XBLA games available at nearly 150MB but it's also one of the most polished and largest in variety with 120 challenge levels, 25 race tracks and 20 death match arenas. I'm a bit ashamed to say that the number of 7/10 reviews delayed me buying this even on my third or fourth try of the demo. It made me question why I was enjoying it so much. It's not a bad score by any means but pretty average on most review scales. This game is way above average though and for 800 points (£6.80) it's one of the best value games on the XBLA at the moment and easily goes into my top 10.

Oh I nearly forgot that it does feature online racing and death match modes too which I've yet to even try. It makes its mark even without it though.

GAMEOV3R score then.....

1 comment:

Matt said...

I played the whole way through the demo, incidentally the best XBLA demo I've played, last night after Lee recommended this and I loved every minute. It reminds me a lot of Buggy Boy on my trusty old C64. In fact this is Buggy Boy but it's spent the last 23 years at Muscle Beach pumping iron and steroids while ogling bikini clad babes. I'll be downloading the full version later. This game is hot, hot, hot!