Wednesday 21 November 2007

Wii Photo Channel Update

Following on from the posts on the forum about the update that's due to arrive for the Photo Channel. Here is a customer service response from Nintendo on the issue of MP3 compatibility...

I can appreciate your concerns regarding the coming changes to the Wii Photo Channel. However, it’s important to note that this is an optional download and is not planned as part of any system updates to Wii. If your Photo Channel currently supports music files in the MP3 format, you can retain this compatibility by electing to not update your Photo Channel to version 1.1.
Additionally, this update will not have an impact on Wii games which use MP3 music files. These Wii games will not be compatible with AAC files and will continue to use the MP3 file format.


I still find it an odd choice to replace MP3 altogether. Lower quality or not it's still the most widely used format. It's good to see it's optional although new Wiis will start shipping with version 1.1 already in place.

I've never made any use of the Photo Channel myself having so many ways to view digital photos and this just isn't the most practical way for me. I'm just glad I won't be having to convert my MP3s for my custom Excite Truck soundtrack.

Let us know what you think on the GAMEOV3R Forum

No comments: