Tuesday 14 August 2007

Mega Delight

I slipped on my glasses, switched on my Wii and clicked on the Shop Channel. 2800 points waiting to be spent, my wife in the bath and with the knowledge that Paper Mario is available it was only a matter of time before this moment arrived. But what's this! My eyes are drawn to something else and Paper Mario is almost blown over as my little blue pointer whisks across the screen and clicks on Mega Man. Mega Man in his most pure NES form. Oh joy! I played this game to completion and absolutely loved it. I have to have it and I click to download. Perhaps my glasses have rose coloured lenses?

The game downloads and I hastily load it up. Waves of nostalgia. This is what being a retro game fan is all about I think to myself. Gamers new to the scene don't know what they're missing! This is great! My huge grin remains as I press start and open the Level Select Screen. You get to play the levels in any order you want but doing them in the right order makes the game easier. Did I remember which level to tackle first? You bet I did, but I'm not telling you in case I spoil your fun. So, off I go jumping and shooting my way through the first level still grinning like a maniac.

Ok, time for a reality check? After all this is an old game from 1987 on an 8 bit NES. It can't be that good! But it is! Sure there are limitations but those limitations are built into Mega Man's character. He can't duck, doesn't shoot vertically or diagonally, he moves a bit slow and his jump worse than a rabbit on a chain gang. But none of this matters as the game works in every respect and is never frustrating. It's never an easy game though, oh no, it's a tough and challenging nut to crack and less experienced gamers may find it too tough. But for those with the skill this is a great game and offers huge bragging rights. 500 points/£3.50 gets you a piece of awesome gaming history. It's a steal. I guess those glasses have only the slightest hint of rose.

Is Mega Man too hard for you? Does he make you cry? Discuss this and much more on our FORUM.

No comments: