Tuesday 22 July 2008

Why Oh Why?



"There are no mistakes, just playing for the pure joy of playing" say Nintendo. I've seen the rather uncomfortable to watch video (see above) of several fully grown adults flailing around randomly and I didn't see or feel much joy.

Creating a music game where you remove all the skills required for playing a real instrument and in fact any skill or point what so ever I don't get. I know some people have similar feelings about Guitar Hero and Rock Band style games but even then you'd have to admit you need decent timing and coordination skills to score well. Wii Music requires none of these. There is no score, there is no skill, there is no point.

Holding a Wii remote to my mouth and randomly mashing buttons is some what unappealing at the age of 35. I certainly can't imagine my friends or family joining me for a run through classic public domain hits like "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" or "Turkey In The Straw". It reminds me of when I used to go to arcades as a lad and bash the buttons without putting any money in... I've grown out of that now.

Maybe that's it and this is aimed at very, very young kids but I kind of get the feeling that isn't what Nintendo are thinking, are they thinking? From the video I think this turkey should stay in the straw, in a very large field far away from shops and inhabited areas. Coming soon to a bargain bin near you...

Join the GAMEOV3R Forum, no turkeys allowed

No comments: