Tuesday 29 July 2008

Assault Heroes - Why didn't I play this earlier??

I'd played the Assault Heroes demo way back when it was released and enjoyed it until I found myself face to face with a mechanical spider about halfway through the first level. I could not beat this metallic arachnid beast down, no matter how I tried. Consequently I didn't download the full version even though Lee raved about the game.

Last week, finding myself unusually stuck for a game to play, I decided to download the Assault Wars demo again. This time though I had a quick read of the control information. Ahh, so there are weapons you can cycle through and you can get out of your vehicle and your vehicle regenerates! Arachnid beast? What arachnid beast!? Some well place shots and this eight legged mechanical hell spawn was crawling back into it's hole wishing it had never been born. Or perhaps wishing I'd never been born.

I unlocked the full version and spent the next few days playing whenever I had the chance. It is a whirlwind of a game that doesn't ease off at all. If you've ever played classic Ikari Warriors or Commando then you'll feel at home with Assault Heroes. Assault Heroes takes these games, improves every aspect but retains a retro feel. It never once forgets challenge and the fun.

The enemies range from the weak, to the tough, to the insane, to the almost unstoppable. The stages take place on both land and water and you have the choice of driving or walking and, in the water, using a speed boat or a jet ski. There are machine guns, heavy canon, flamethrower, grenades and nukes all for your selection. These choices give you a varied range of tactical choices adding to appeal and longevity.

The sound is acceptable and I thought the graphics for an older XBLA game were of a very high standard. Sure there are rough edges but overall it looks rich and colourful. The water alone, lapping at the shore of stage one, is quite mesmerising. There are weather effects, day turns to night and the vehicles and animations are very convincing.

Four underground zones challenge you to get to the end without dying. Fail and you're kicked back up to the surface. No extra life and no achievement for you! Completing all four under ground zones in one game rewards you with Gamer Points though I forget how many. 20 maybe? It's something I've not managed yet. You even get a co-op mode. This game is full to the brim.

Full but short. Once you get the hang of it one and a half hours should see you through from start to finish but you'll have a blast the whole way through and considering this now costs 400 MS Points in the Classic XBLA Selection you should not ignore this game.

For more up to the minute gaming with Gameov3r check out the Forum. We always have our finger on the video gaming pulse. Though it's sometimes a bit difficult for Gameov3r's members to locate their own pulse. It's an age thing.

We don't do this for a living. We do it for fun!

No comments: