Monday 13 October 2008

Xbox 360 20GB to 60GB Data Transfer

I'm posting this purely in the hope that people thinking about upgrading for whatever reason to the Xbox 360 with a 60GB hard drive will come across it among all the posts on forums that say this doesn't work.

I recently upgraded due to a faulty DVD drive in my old 20GB 360 and took the opportunity to go for a larger hard drive due to the recent price drop. The form you fill in on the Microsoft website in order to obtain the free data migration cable only mentions the Elite console, but I crossed this out and sent it off anyway. During the three weeks I spent waiting for the cable (yes, three weeks Microsoft!) I've heard advice from game shops that the process may not work for the 60GB console. I've also read numerous posts on forums from people that say they have tried this and it doesn't work. I couldn't find a single article that said a 20GB to 60GB transfer had been successful. I was getting a little worried and thinking my only option may be to buy a Microsoft Memory Unit and transfer my saves that way. While not a huge outlay it's not something I really wanted to be having to spend more money on.

Anyway the cable turned up the weekend and worked a treat. Everything was transferred over in around 40 minutes. With the licenses transferred everything is back to normal only with a bit more free space. The only reason I can think that others have had trouble is if the CD that comes supplied with the cable has been updated since the 60GB console was released and maybe the older kits intended for the Elite don't work?

EDIT: Further Reading...

Why not migrate to the GAMEOV3R Forum?

No comments: