Tuesday 28 October 2008

Endurance Test

I've been going through my game case recently trying to actually finish off all those games I keep saying I'm going to finish off... one day. So far I'm doing quite well with another one finally complete (Conan on the 360) after not touching it for around 8 or 9 months. One of the biggest problems I find is that if I put a game down for a length of time I can rarely be bothered to relearn the controls again. Often it's not as difficult as I think it'll be it's just this mental block I create. The thing is I'd left Conan with only the final boss left to fight, so why hadn't I just done it and traded it in for something else months a go?

Within around 15 minutes of asking this question the answer arrived with a resounding thud... the kind of thud sound that banging your head repeatedly against a wall would create. This boss wasn't a test of skill, it was a test of endurance. Six bloody stages of endurance to be precise. Each time I got his energy bar down to zero I thought that's it, I've done it, but the game had other ideas. The thing transformed into something else and I had to do the same again... and again... and again. I realised I wasn't actually even enjoying playing it anymore, which is a shame as whilst not a fantastic game the rest of it had been lots of fun. It was only my stubbornness of not wanting it to get the better of me that carried me through. There was no joy having got there though, just relief. I could finally get rid of it knowing I beat it, and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough! So 85% of games go unfinished? Someone tell the developers of this in case they make a second one please!

There are no endurance tests to join the GAMEOV3R Forum, just some unpleasant jobs for the newest member...

No comments: