Wednesday 9 April 2008

What's In A Name?

Puzzle Quest turned out to be a bit of a surprise hit on both the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP and then later on the Xbox LIVE Arcade and PC. Using a Bejeweled style puzzle game for the battles in an RPG proved to be an addictive combination, rather than the horrible clash of genres it could quite easily have been.

Anyway, D3 and Infinite Interactive recently ran a little competition to name the upcoming expansion pack coming to the XBLA very soon. Unfortunately I missed this as the closing date was 31st March. I therefore apologise that I was unable to prevent the winner from...errr...winning. So now you're all dying to know what won I won't keep you waiting any longer, but I forewarn you it's right up there with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace as titles go (although I'm sure the pack won't be as disappointing as that movie was). Here we go then, wait for it... "Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords - Revenge of the Plague Lord"... I can almost hear the stifled giggles from here. The two titles it beat to the top spot were "Sorceress of Malbec" and "The Scourge of Antharg". This game more than most could help more people cross over to RPG land but then you go and make it sound just like any other one.

I'm so gutted that my titles were never given the chance they so rightfully deserved, so I'll do the next best thing and put them up here so both the developers and any other unfortunate people reading this can see what they missed out on.

Up first is "Attack of the Magnetic Unicycle Smugglers", or maybe even "Fight of the Fantastic Forklift Overlords", possibly too many F's in that one I grant you but this last one took me ages to come up with, "Spite of the Amateur Harpoon Zombies". All of these conjure up far more excitement within me than any Plague Lord ever will and I'm sure you're all with me... hello?... Anyone?...

I'll get me coat. I'll be on the GAMEOV3R forum if you need me...

No comments: