Friday 28 March 2008

Error Code 85010

There are threads on the Gameov3r forum that goes something like this....

"XBox online = YAY!!!"

"Nintendo online = aaaaaaaarghhh!"


Wait! If you're a Nintendo fan sit back down. Put down that large, blunt and heavy object too and let me qualify those statements. The Gameov3r forum is far from biased. But if it is, just a little bit, it leans toward the Wii and the DS more than any other consoles. The “aaaaaaaarghhh!” is an honest “aaaaaaaarghhh!”

The Monday night online DS sessions have caused a headache or two for Gameov3r forumites. Disconnects, not being able to find any friends online and server errors all conspire to spoil the fun. The Wii hasn't faired much better with many gamers experiencing connection problems. Mario Strikers initially had connection issues, so much so that I stopped playing it along with most of Gameov3r. Geometry Wars: Galaxies has the poorest online capabilities I have seen so far. I actually have to go to the trouble of uploading my scores manually! Even then I can’t see my friends in a leaderboard. Medal of Honour Heroes 2 had online teething problems despite EA using their own servers. How simple it would be if I could just look up a friend in my friends list and click to join the game they’re playing. But no, it seems that online play is still included reluctantly, is not given the time or effort needed to make it easy and intuitive to use and more importantly work properly.

The UK doesn’t have Smash Bros Brawl yet but the word from USA based forum member the_corn is not good. Last I heard was he couldn’t get online. At all. He did say that Brawl was awesome nonetheless.

MK Wii is approaching the penultimate hairpin and will soon ripping past the UK release date. With my pessimistic socks pulled right up to my knees, I fully expect to be playing MK Wii on my own when it does.

Online issues have plagued Nintendo forever. From their “we’re not interested in online gaming” stance, to their current, seemingly, incompetent stance. Surely by now Nintendo realise the importance of online gaming and that they must start getting it right.

This is not the first time I’ve moaned about Nintendo online but these issues just won’t go away. Sounds to me like Gameov3r is struggling to make something go away too. I count 4 flushes already. Avoid trap 2 in the cellar on the Gameov3r FORUM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very great blog. Not just because I'm in it. It is hard for a Wii user to talk about how they hate the on-line play on a forum and not get bashed by the fans. I stand by your blog 100%. Keep it up.