Wednesday 5 March 2008

Blu-ray Too Small

It's been widely reported lately that Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima struggled to fit number 4 in the series onto a 50Gb Blu-ray disc. Apparently he's had to compress and even edit bits to make it fit onto the disc.

Reading through some of the many comments this of course means that the game is 'absolutely huge and action packed'. All other games are now insignificant and this is what next gen gaming is all about.

My prediction is slightly different and perhaps a little pessimistic. I don't doubt the production values of this game, it will look and probably sound stunning.... but will there be much playing? You know, as in gameplay? That thing we actually buy games for.

I played through Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 and quite enjoyed most of it. Well, the 3 or 4 hours I got to do stuff in anyway. The endless cut scenes and conversations almost ruined it for me but I persevered. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty I can't say the same. I wanted to enjoy it, I even felt I should be having read many reviews, but I couldn't. The story line was utter nonsense and if I wanted to sit and watch a cut scene for over half an hour I'd probably have rented a film instead. With a much better story line!

I never did bother with 3 and find the hype for number 4 completely passing me by. The bursting at the seams Blu-ray disc gives me more cause for concern than excitement. I fear there may be more people 'watching' Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on the PS3 than playing it come June. I hope I'm proved wrong.

GAMEOV3R is ready to discuss this with you now over on the Forum

No comments: