Tuesday 5 February 2008

Something for free?

You never get anything for free. Just try getting the free half of a 100% extra free piece of mature cheddar out of the door of your local supermarket without paying for the other half and you'll be accosted by the security guard who, despite your best efforts, will neither understand nor believe you.

Microsoft offering Undertow to Xbox Live subscribers for free wasn't really for free. It was Microsoft apologising for the lousy online service that, for me, began on 25th December 2007, and still isn't as good as it used to be.

I was certainly going to take advantage of Microsoft's peace offering as, unlike Lee, I hadn't downloaded the full version of Undertow. At least that was my plan. To my dismay when Microsoft offered Undertow I was on vacation. I checked the download as soon as I got home but it was back at 800 points. Bugger.

I decided to phone Microsoft and explain my tale of woe. I'd already read how Lee had successfully squeezed 800 "free" points out of Microsoft, because he already had the game, and thought I'd have a go too. Surely I would at least manage to get Undertow if not 800 points. Before I phoned I put my Mr Angry baseball cap next to my Mr Stroppy trilby on the table next to the phone. Depending on the reaction I received I thought I would have to don one of the hats. After all Microsoft had offered the game for a period of time and I didn't download it. My fault not theirs. They could simply turn around and say "tough luck pal!" and I wanted to be ready for them.

I needn't have worried about donning either hat. Microsoft customer service, although a bit cold, is very, very good. My complaint was dealt with efficiently and I was told I would receive a call back. 36 hours later I received a call back, as promised, and the saga was resolved. The customer Service representative couldn't have been more helpful and Microsoft were surprisingly generous.

So there you go. Although my LIVE connection isn't quite as quick as it was I'm a pretty satisfied Microsoft customer. Thank you and good night.



Oh ok I'll tell you what I got. I was given a choice of any item I wanted from a list of retail games and hardware. It wasn't a list full of crap either. I decided on a wireless controller which, here in the UK, has an RRP of £32.99. Not bad for a customer that would've been happy with 800 Microsoft Points. I think on this occasion I can safely say I got something for free.

Did you ever manage to scrounge something for free? Gameov3r regularly get's everyone on the forum to do his jobs for him. There's even a rota to change the litter tray. Free labour he says. Slave labour I say!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn it, why did I rush out to download it. If only I had waited, I could have blagged something that I would actually have used :(

Oh well, I got a 'free' game that I'll be unlikely to play, mustn't grumble :(