Tuesday 12 February 2008

It was going to happen sometime

Now as far as I know this has happened to only one other Gameov3r member but sooner or later it was going to happen again.

We read all about it on gaming websites and in magazines. Wii fans mock, but, while they do, they wonder if their little white box of joy will make a few more of those clunky noises and then melt beneath a fuzzy, electric blue, cloud of static. 360 owners talk about it in hushed whispers wondering if they'll be next. Sony fan boys join the Wii fans in the mockery but they forget that it is unwise to throw stones if you have a glass console.

Surprisingly I didn't greet the red glow, that was beaming at me from the front of my 360, with a torrent of foul language. It was more of a “oh well, I guess I better phone Xbox Support then.” And even then I only thought it. I was not annoyed or distressed in the slightest. I didn't feel a thing. Well actually, I did feel a bit disappointed. I’d always assumed that I’d be beside myself with rage, jumping up and down and making indecipherable bleeping noises, should my 360 eye me like it was possessed. But it all felt a bit flat.

I phoned Microsoft to complain. No hats required this time. The guy at the call centre checked my details and, after confirming that the problem was a general hardware failure, he booked my 360 in for repair . I was told that this would all be done under the Extended 3 Year Warranty, so would cost me nothing, and that it would take between 2 and 3 weeks. That's not all. To sweeten the situation Microsoft will add an extra month to my gold membership to cover the repair time.

A UPS packing slip arrived in my inbox a few hours after I made the phone call. All I have to do now is phone and arrange collection and then wait. I'll let you know how the whole process works out when I get my repaired 360 back. Full marks so far Microsoft.

So another 360 bites the dust and it's made me curious to know how many of you Gameov3r blog readers and Forum members have experienced the RROD? Comments below, join the Forum or email me. I want to know!

No comments: