Wednesday 20 January 2010

The Way of the Exploding Eardrum

Whilst looking through the archives over on the Gameov3r Forum I came across an old post of mine about the first time I was impressed by speech in a video game. Ghostbusters and Impossible Mission were 2 games, both on the Commodore 64, that I'd recalled.

Reading this I was reminded of a speech related gaming incident. A pant filling, speech related gaming incident. This is another Commodore 64 game and this incident happened the first time I loaded up the game.

Picture the scene, I'm sitting at my Woolworths own brand, fake teak, computer desk in front of my C64. I press Shift, Run/Stop on my trusty Commodore breadbin followed by the play button on the tape deck. All going well so far. Found:Exploding Fist is confirmed on screen and then colourful lines begin their dance down the screen. Nothing unusual and I remember having my head firmly buried in the fold-out instructions trying to learn all the moves. Then this >>> appears on screen and a Bruce Lee-esque yell comes screeching from my 14" portable TV's tiny speaker, piercing the tranquillity of my room. I almost fell off my chair with surprise! I didn't really fill my pants, honestly I didn't, but I did jump out of my skin!

There are a few things on the Gameov3r Forum that might make you jump. In fact there are a few members that might make you jump too but only if you feed them after midnight. So avoid that and come over for a chat and a drink at the bar. Using a synthesised voice is optional

No comments: