Thursday 12 February 2009

I've Got You Under My Skin

I've been a bit of a late comer to the Little Big Planet party. Despite it's many 10/10 reviews something didn't sell it to me. I loved the characters but watching the brief trailer that played in game shops around its release it seemed a bit... erm how can I describe it... imprecise? Things being dragged around in a clumsy manner and faltering jumps are some of the things that created a first impression I guess. I put it on my Christmas list anyway with it being available for under £20, it would while away a few hours at the very least over the holidays... and it did. In fact it still is. The apparent clumsiness from watching is all part of the physics that make everything feel completely solid and believable in the game, from cardboard to bricks to material blocks. I think I've regressed back to childhood in wanting to build things out of everyday objects. Emptying moms cupboards to make buildings out of tin cans and cereal packets. The 'clumsiness' just adds to the charm and often results in some of the funniest moments in the game. I'm not saying it can't on occasion be frustrating in particularly tricky sections of a level but change Sackboys expression, tilt the controller to make him wiggle, wave his arms around and just try holding back a smile.

A level based on the achievement in Half-Life 2: Episode 2 where you're asked to carry a garden gnome throughout the entire game...

Gnome Liberation Front (no sound)



It's gotten under my skin even more over time having completed the main story levels and the Metal Gear Solid download pack (Well worth it by the way. The five levels don't take that long to complete but getting the trophies provides a good challenge and the paintinator adds a whole new dimension to the game). I'm now really starting to look at what people have been creating and some of it is truly stunning. Whether they're original creations, based on popular tv shows and games or just incredibly clever use of the creation tools. Speaking of which... check out the Little Big Computer below. Looks simple enough if you don't know the tools available to you but fast forward and just look at the workings!



Tell us your favourite levels on the GAMEOV3R Forum

No comments: