Tuesday 9 December 2008

Calling TIME Out On Playstation Home

I've been reading today that TIME magazine has included Playstation Home at number 10 in it's top 10 gadgets for 2008. Their write up reads as follows:

After a number of launch delays, Sony's virtual world, "Home" gives folks one more reason to buy its pricey PS3 video game console. Users create their own human-looking avatar and get a virtual apartment near the "town square," a base of operations from which to socialize, play games and purchase an endless variety of Sony goods and services (think games, movies, music and more.) A cross between Second Life and the Sims, the service shows the promise of a commercial Metaverse. Price: free

What do they mean after a number of launch delays? It's still in a closed beta as of today and that's ignoring the fact it isn't really a gadget at all is it? Picking it apart even more, the shops were empty until a few days ago and the items available now are far from endless. Thinking about 'games, movies and music' is about all you'll be doing as none of these things are for sale. So what fits into the 'more' category then? A few items of clothing and furniture.

I've not been in the beta for all that long and in that time I've loaded it up twice and already I wonder why I would go back. The only part that held my attention for any length of time was the gaming area where I enjoyed a game of bowling and pool, but they're hardly games you'll keep going back to. I've already experienced racist comments and watched as immature guys try to chat up girls with all the subtlety of a brick to the face. Not everyone will abuse it I'm sure and I'm fully aware this is a beta release but Sony had better be holding a lot back as I can already feel the anti climax approaching. The sun is out and people are at home yet to me it feels very cold, sterile and empty.

I know I sound pretty negative but I'm failing to see the innovation here so until Sony release the full thing and change it, my opinion is what it is.

So how much did Sony pay you for the top 10 advert TIME magazine? You haven't even 'played' it have you?

Different opinion? Voice it here or on the GAMEOV3R Forum

No comments: