Monday 4 August 2008

Options

I've written about some of my compulsive behaviors when it comes to games before and I'm about to reveal another one that I've known for some time. Imagine I've just bought a new game and can't wait to get home and try it out. What do I do first?... savor the introductory cut scene to this new story I'm about to get involved in? Jump straight in and get to grips with whatever new controls I'll need to learn? Heaven forbid read the instruction manual?! No, none of these things. Without a second thought I'm right in there checking out the options menu.

I can't help it and it's always a bit of a disappointment when all I find are a few audio volume controls. I mean, what if my screen needs shifting 3 pixels to the right so it's perfectly lined up? What if I need to invert the controls for the camera? Pulling down to look up never does feel right to me and then there's left and right, do I want to control the characters head so left looks left and right looks right, or do I want to control the camera behind my character meaning the controls are reversed? What if the brightness needs cranking up a notch and the TV remote is just out of reach? Or if peoples voices are too quiet in relation to the background music? Maybe the text display speed could do with being slightly faster or I prefer the camera on the near, normal or far option? What if, what if, what if! Arrrgghhh so many choices, I'm confused.... dot com. Damn their adverts are annoying. Am I the only one that has to check all these things before I start? I need a hot chocolate to calm down... oh no, not more Options.

There was a time when the biggest choice I'd make is 1P or 2P, where did those days go? Come and vote on the GAMEOV3R Forum... don't worry there are only 3 options :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, I am exactly the same!!