Wednesday 6 April 2011

The Nintendo Effect




So, it's out. With surprisingly little hype (at least in my current gaming circles), the Nintendo 3DS is here.

Initial impressions have been mixed. First I was tempted, then I wasn't, but now I find myself tempted again. The launch line-up isn't exactly mind blowing, but then, when is a launch line-up amazing? Pretty rare I'd say. There are a couple of highlights though, Street Fighter IV looks great and Ghost Recon is apparently a rather good game. PES is also there, and whilst I know most people prefer FIFA these days, personally I prefer Konami's efforts, and this plays as well as the rest. The lukewarm line-up aside, my urge to indulge in the 3D side of gaming is luring me more and more. So that's it, I'm inevitably going to buy one aren't I? Well..........

The trouble is I have a bit of a dilemma about purchasing so soon after launch. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no stranger to buying consoles early on. I had the PS2 on launch day, and had the Wii about a month after its release. But it's the Wii and the DS that are causing the problem for me. Y'see, I've been burnt a little by Nintendo and now I'm wary. Let me explain...

Cast you mind back to late 2006. The Wii was almost upon us and we were being tantalised by trailers of people acting out their gaming moves. I watched (whilst salivating) at that Red Steel trailer. The guy sat in a comfy chair in his swanky lounge whilst pointing his virtual gun at the screen. So immersed was the gentlemen that he was actually dodging the virtual bullets in real life. "That's it" I thought to myself, "I may not be able to afford a PS3 when it comes out, but this looks like the future". The idea of playing the kind of games I know and love but in a completely new way sucked me in hook, line and sinker. Things looked good at the start. Red Steel was great fun although not perfect by any means, and whilst pointing a Wiimote at the screen seemed a little strange, it offered the new experience that I'd hoped for. Then it happened...

The party game market took hold. The non-gaming fraternity started seeing the potential fun in owning the little white box of tricks for the odd game here and there. The 'casual gamer' market was well and truly at full pace and the developers saw the opportunity to make a quick buck. "Why make an effort with the games when the Wii owning public don't read reviews, aren't particularly knowledgeable and will buy anything as long as it has the words 'sports' or 'party' in the title" I can imagine the devs saying. The market got drowned in shovelware, I got bored of sifting through the junk, desperately trying to find a decent game, and my love affair with the Wii was over.

Nintendo loved it though, sales were through the roof and it appears that they really had tapped into a niche market. The same strategy was applied to the DS. Brain Training games and puzzle games were made in abundance, and with advertising campaigns showing that the older generation can indeed own a handheld gaming without looking a bit odd, the DS's success had been laid out.

The thing is, I hate those types of games. I wasn't brought up on a diet of crap games like Beach Brain Sports Training Party 5: Extra Party Edition! I don't want an f'ing party, I just want a deep and fulfilling game!!!

Now the 3DS looks like it holds loads of potential. The list of games in development looks promising. Along with the already released SFIV etc there are games such as Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater and the Resi games. It all looks good, and if they keep this trend of software up then I reckon the DS could be part of my gaming future. But a part of my brain thinks "hang on, wait for the shovelware". If DS owners choose to upgrade to the 3DS, then surely a lot of those won't want to blast zombies, they'll want a puzzle instead.

If this happens will the 3DS start to go down the same road as the old DS? £180 for a big 3D producing paperweight doesn't float my boat.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

3 comments:

Matt M said...

I completely agree. No decent games - serious games - for Wii mean that for me it is collecting dust. There has to be room for both markets. Semi-serious-ish gamers of a mature age are brand loyal. I have every version of Total War, Civilisation (even the crap ones), Football Manager, Elderscrolls up to Oblivion with expansions etc etc etc.

The party market is happy with games that are free online in flash that have been lazily adapted to include wiiremote controls (and very badly in most cases) - DS doesn't even have that adaptation.

Poor decision by nintendo imho

new providence said...

I still have mine. And still enjoys it.

Anonymous said...

I agree as well. Plus, I'm pissed off that most of the games being developed for 3DS couldn't have been developed for the normal one D: I bought my DSi about half a year to a year before the release of the 3DS.

But, I'd have to say that I am quite satisfied by the Red Steel 2 that I have for Wii :3

[url]http://wonderlandrookie.blogspot.com/[/url]